As I strive to be a better man I’m learning to say the right things to my wife. It’s easy to say the wrong thing – we as men do it all the time, but it becomes WAY more difficult to say the right things.
- Every morning I wake up and let my wife know that I love her: Yeah, it sounds simple, but when life starts to happen it becomes easy to forget.
- You’re smart, confident, and beautiful: By saying this regularly it builds security, affirmation, and confidence in her. I also tell my son this same thing pretty much daily. The only change is hansome.
- I was wrong, I’m sorry, will you forgive me: I want Sarah to know that I’m man enough to admit when I’m wrong. I want her to see that I’m not to good to say that I’m sorry. And that I always seek forgiveness right away.
- So, is this what your saying? I want Sarah to know that I hear her, respect her, and I value what she has to say.
- How can I be a better man for you and our family? I want her to know that I’m striving daily to be the man she and our family deserve.
- I want to spend more time together. What do we need to do to make this happen? I want Sarah to know that our time together is special to me. And, I want Daniel to see that we love and value one another.
- What do you think about this? It’s important to me that I include Sarah in my decisions because everything I do affects her and our family. I never want her to feel like she isn’t a part of what I do.
- Can we sit down and go over our family financials? I try to be intentional about how we manage our money as a family. I want us to be secure first and then plan for the lifestyle and future that we want to have.
- I’ll take care of this or that so that you don’t have to worry about it. This could mean taking care of our son so she can focus on school or something else. The key is that it shows that I support her dreams and goals.
- Call me anytime: I like Sarah to know that I’m always accessible and there for her to talk to. If I’m in a meeting or something I usually will step away and take her call or try to call her right back.
How about you? Are you saying the right things to your wife?
I’m horny about a lot of things these days. Because of this, I thought I would put together a list and share it with you. I don’t know what makes you horny, but maybe this will motivate you to start thinking about it.
- Family: Family is first in my book. I’m trying to invest in my family, spend time, appreciate one another, and ultimately have a fun together.
- Quality Friendships: I have a few people who I try to pour into and I feel like in return they are pouring right back into me. You can’t pour into everyone, so pick a few good friends and build each other up.
- Exploring new things: I don’t care what it is, I want to explore it: canoe trip, hiking, marathons, smoking cigars…bring it on andlet’s try it out.
- Motivating people to do shit with their lives, take risks and live a little. I feel like this has always kind of been my thing, but today, more than ever you will hear me talking about this.
- Co-founder and entrepreneurial relationships: I can’t be more thankful for all my co-founders, equity partners, and people involved in my deals. For the last few years, I’ve been intentional about seeking out entrepreneurs who can see eye to eye beyond just, let’s make some money. We appreciate family, we take risks, we seek new experiences, and above all else, we are friends and there for one another.
- Startup communities: Now being involved with Startup America Partnership for almost a year, I am having the time of my life – It’s so cool to see all the different startup communities evolve and grow.
- Venture Capital: I’m talking with a few folks now about putting together a fund. I am no experienced VC, but I can put a team together that knows their shit. This is what I’m looking at right now – putting together a stellar team that can invest in startups and entrepreneurs that want to have fun, disrupt, and make some money along the way.
- Game changing startups: If you’re trying to do the same shit as someone else, I don’t care. If you think you got something cool and different, this gets me excited. Why put a ton a time into something that is the same as the next guys stuff?
- Accelerators: I think accelerators rock. I’m not involved in one myself, nor have I been involved in one. However, I sit back, watch, listen, and appreciate all the work that accelerators are doing. We need more of them. The best part about accelerators are the mentors and the community that forms.
- Crowd funding: I am a co-founder of a startup called Fundmypark. We are the Kickstarter for all things parks and recreation. Were already seeing some good success with this project. Beyond this, I’m just interested in all the crowdfunding activity going down.
- Branded entertainment: I’ve watched more and more young people change their content consuming behavior and this gets me horny. Hence the reason I’m a part of a new deal being put together in Hollywood to enter this space. We are still trying to figure stuff out, but we are close.
- Digital content and entertainment: The smartest thing people can do with content today is build in the brands. No, not product placement. I’m talking about unique branded integration that tells a story. Look at Nike, Redbull, and others – they get it.
- New retail and restaurant plays: I enjoy seeing people disrupt this industry. I see people tying mobile into the experience. I also have seen good uses of social. It’s all interesting to me. Just watch as more and more entrepreneurs come up with unique ways to mod this industry and integrate new forms of tech.
- Social Media: All forms, all uses, case studies, you name it, I’m following it and paying attention. It’s also important because if you’re not building social into everything you do today…you are an idiot.
- Social Commerce: Lots of people are toying with this (This includes me) and I think it’s awesome. Do I think this space is early still? Yes. Do I see it evolving and eventually becoming a very important part of our lives? Yes.
- Mobile: First off, I have two mobile startups I’m in right now. So, this means I’m paying attention to facts, statistics, apps, use cases…..I’m on top of it all.
- Fashion/Lifestyle apparel: I’m an advisor to a brand called Citizenshirt. We are gearing up right now to do some pretty grass roots, authentic projects. Watch us build this into a mainstream brand.
- Social Responsibility: If you’re not on top of this, don’t plan on being in business long – this is on top of the millennia’s priority list.
- Action sports: I’ve always been and always will love action sports – it’s in my blood.
- Any good example of strategy: social, analytical, marketing, management, etc.
- Furniture: I have a furniture startup that I’m in. The company is called Think Tables. Yes, we are starting out with writable tables, but we have big plans….stay tuned.
- Embedded software: Software is being embedded into everything. 5-10 years from now, it will be hard to find anything without tech embedded into it.
- Hardware companies: Hardware is something I’m looking at pretty hard. There are lots of startups and entrepreneurs out there today building hardware products. This excites me. I don’t know what I will do about it, but it will be something – I will ride this wave.
- Personal branding: With all that I do, it needs to come back and support my personal brand. What is my personal brand? Motivating startups and entrepreneurs to make stuff and things happen. If it doesn’t fit with my personal brand or the projects I’m involved with, I don’t do it.
How about you?
What gets you horny today?
How many folders do you have? This includes on your computer, inside your browser (I use chrome), maybe Evernote if you use it, or inside your file cabinet? After counting, I found that I had about a hundred or so.
I have folders for ministry, back burner folders, finances, consulting, speaking, writing, WordPress, references, cool stuff, and hundreds of others. You probably have similar folders.