After God, who comes second in your life? Is it you? I sure hope so.
I know, this sounds selfish, but it’s the best advice and change I’ve ever put forth in my life.
The reality is, if you can’t take care of yourself, how can you tend to anyone else: your wife, children, company, team, startup, etc.
For me, if I take care of myself first it allows me to be mentally, emotionally, and physically available for others. It allows me to better serve and lead those around me.
Here are a few things to think about:
- If you don’t take care of yourself mentally and participate in either prayer, meditation, or something of this nature, how can you have a clear mind to share with others.
- If you don’t exercise and eat right, what would happen if you became very sick? You wouldn’t be much help to anyone around you now would you?
- If you don’t get your rest, you won’t have the energy you need to get through your day.
- If you don’t take the time to read and write, then you can’t have the intellect to contribute to others.
- If you don’t take time to reflect and heal from your emotional wounds, you end up reacting and looking like a fool. It’s easy to make these mistakes. Instead, you should be in a position to teach, inspire and add value. How do you do this? I think counseling and therapy can be highly beneficial.
When you start taking care of yourself “first” then you can start taking care of those around you. I am know expert, nonetheless I am strive everyday to be better.
What about you?
Are you putting yourself first (after God)?