Last week Sunday morning I started to get a sore throat. You know the ones where you can feel the snot draining down your throat? This was the one. I didn’t think anything of it at first. I had plans for that day; church, run, maybe take a nap, and have dinner with the family.
Photo Courtesy Of: http://search.creativecommons.org/
During Church it hit me like a ton of bricks. My nose filled up, throat continued to hurt, and my head was pounding. At this point I knew it was over. I went home, crawled into bed, and didn’t wake up till the next day. The next day I woke up and nothing had changed, other than everything was worse. I decided to take a hot shower and rest some more. I thought maybe If I just rested it will go away. It’s now Wednesday March, 2 and I still have this stupid cold. It is holding on for dear life. It’s like my Grandma on a roller coaster. Have you ever taken your Grandma on a roller coaster? You should try it sometime!
In the past my colds usually lasted for a couple of days, not this one. I have tried everything and it just wont go away. I started to give up when I thought, “Lets use Twitter and Facebook to see what we can learn from others, maybe they are experiencing the same thing”. Sure enough the tweets, Facebook messages, and even a few text messages started pouring in. After collecting all the messages I gathered ten remedies to cure the common cold.
Here they are.
- Sleep. It does work, just not this time for me. This was my moms best remedy.
- Take Calcium, magnesium, and Zinc twice daily. These are basic vitamins that you might be missing in your daily diet.
- Zicam. My friend Matt Fulk told me to take this. He said it works for him every time.
- Airborne. This helps to support your immune system. I have been told this works best at the beginning of the cold.
- Hot steamy shower. This might not cure it, but it will sure make you feel better. The steam will help break down the congestion.
- Plenty of fluids. It is important to break up the congestion and get it out of your system.
- Gargle with warm salt water. Gargling can moisten a sore or scratchy throat and bring temporary relief. Try a half teaspoon of salt dissolved in 8 ounces of warm water four times daily.
- Blow your nose often. It’s important to blow your nose when you have a cold rather than sniffling mucus back into your head.
- Use saline nasal sprays. They also help to break us the congestion.
- Hot bowl of Soup. There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup. Not really sure how this helps, it just does.
I don’t know about you but I am going to try all of these. I will let you know which ones work best. Thanks to everyone for sharing their remedies with me. I hope these can help others as well.
What remedies do you use? What helps to cure your colds?