Are you walking, living, eating, and breathing your brand? Or are you crawling around complaining, whining, and criticizing others about their brands. Losers do these things. This is not how you build a brand and this is for sure not how you live out a brand. WAY
Think of the Olympic runner training to win the Olympics. Often training for years. Their commitment is stronger than anyone I have ever seen. Daily, they live, eat, and breathe their career as a runner. They are consumed with anything and everything that it takes to win. You will never find an Olympic runner sitting around complaining, whining, or criticizing others. Instead you will find them making things happen by living, eating, and breathing their careers as runners.
I’ve had the opportunity to be everything from a professional athlete, a business leader, and now someone who is building my personal brand. I’ve seen a lot, learned a lot, and hope that I am able to share with you what I have learned. It’s been a long road and continues to be a long road. However, I’m learning daily what it takes to live out my brand. I hope and pray that I’m able to share some things that can add value to you, your life, and your brand. Oh, and keep in mind you are always selling yourself. If you breathe then you are selling yourself.
Its not easy to live out your brand. You will acquire many battle wounds and scuffs on your shield. Yet you must keep fighting because the victory is amazing.
Here are 13 things you can do to live out your brand.
- You can’t win the race by standing still. God calls us to go out and make things happen. Don’t be afraid failure is part of the success.
- People are not idiots. As a matter a fact they are much smarter than you. Reach out and ask questions. Most of the time they will be willing to share with you.
- Repeat.Repeat. Repeat. If you want to make it stick, then you must learn to be repetitive. Repetition causes clarity and clarity causes connection.
- You must learn to stand out in the crowd. I like to call this “The green fridge theory”. In our office, we used to have a green fridge. It was our way of standing out and being different, and people loved it!
- Always try to do the right thing. I’m not saying that you won’t fail, because you will. Just be willing to always strive to do the right thing. Even if it means doing the hard things.
- Don’t be afraid to fall on your face. It’s all part of living the brand. You cant have the wins without the losses.
- You must be a visionary. People don’t want to pick up and follow average or practical, but there willing to pick up and follow a visionary.
- People remember how you make them feel, not what you look like, what you say, or how awesome your powerpoint is. Be a connector and focus on people first.
- Make sure you go out of your way to help and serve others. Be a servant leader. The greatest leader of all times (Jesus) was a servant leader.
- As much as you think it is, it’s not about you. Make sure you nail yourself to the cross daily and humble yourself.
- Be real, authentic and transparent. This is what people are looking for. My good friend Sean Heboer said, “To live your brand you must meet your day to day reality”.
- Build a tribe of people that can go out, make things happen and create change. You need the tribe.
- Make people feel like they are apart of something bigger than themselves.
As I continue to live, eat, and breathe my brand, I focus on these things daily. Like I said before it’s not an overnight process. It will require hardwork, self disciple, constant change, and a willingness to invest like never before. I hope these things help you as much as they have me. Thanks for allowing me to share and I hope had a great week! In Christ.
Discussion Question: How are you living out your brand?